Air ducts convey cool and heated airflow to and from your living spaces. Contaminants circulating in conditioned airflow can settle on surfaces, bedding, behind appliances and on every accessible nook and cranny in your home. While most contaminants are captured by your filter, some can still stick to your A/C coils and duct walls. So, if you haven’t had your air ducts cleaned in recent years, read on to see why duct cleaning is a good investment.
Why Clean Your Air Ducts?
Over time, duct walls can become covered with all sorts of dirty and unhealthy contaminants that create an assortment of problems:
- Dirty ducts restrict airflow, which increases energy consumption and wear on HVAC components.
- Ducts can become so caked with debris that it causes unusual or even disturbing noises from the registers.
- Air ducts provide a dark environment that invites mold and mildew growth. This problem is exacerbated during Southwest Oklahoma’s humid cooling months.
- Dirty ducts can negatively impact indoor air quality when contaminants dislodge and reenter your living space. Mold spores may also be released into your home.
- Vermin feces and insect parts are common contaminants in many duct systems.
Air Duct Evaluation
If you’re concerned about the state of your air ducts and indoor air quality, invite a qualified HVAC professional to your home to inspect your ductwork system. He will use visual and telescopic video equipment to look inside inaccessible air ducts.
Not all ducts are going to need cleaning. If you’ve been using a high-efficiency air filter and have changed it regularly over the years, your air ducts may be in fine condition. However, a good HVAC preventive maintenance checkup should be performed each year to ensure maximum performance, efficiency and home comfort.
If you have any questions about air duct cleaning or HVAC preventive maintenance in your Southwest Oklahoma home, please contact the professionals at Davis Air Conditioning.
Our goal is to help educate our customers in the Lawton and Duncan, Oklahoma area about energy and home comfort issues (specific to HVAC systems).
Credit/Copyright Attribution: “Kichigin/Shutterstock”